Learn about TAP

The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York residents attending in-state postsecondary institutions pay for tuition. Depending on the academic year in which you began study, an annual TAP award can be as high as $5,165.

Part-time TAP helps eligible New York residents attending in-state, post-secondary institutions on a part-time basis pay for tuition. It is available for students who completed requirements as full-time, first-time freshmen in 2006-07 or thereafter and meet other part-time eligibility requirements. Because TAP is a grant, it does not have to be paid back.

Who is Eligible?

To Be Eligible for TAP You Must:

  • Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen.
  • Be a legal resident of New York State.
  • Study full time (at least 12 credits, applicable toward your degree, per semester) at an approved postsecondary institution in New York State, or, for Part-time TAP, have completed requirements as a full-time, first-time freshman in 2006-07 or thereafter and are taking 6 to 11 credits, applicable toward your degree, per semester.
  • Have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma by passing a Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) formally known as a GED, or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department.
  • Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing.
  • Have at least a cumulative “C” average after receipt of two annual payments.
  • Be charged at least $200 tuition per year.
  • Not be in default on a federal or State-made student loan or on any repayment of state awards.
  • Meet income eligibility limitations.

What Are the Award Amounts?

  • Dependent Undergraduate Students Award Range: $500 - $5,165
  • Married Independent Undergraduate Students with Tax Dependents Award Range: $500 - $5,165
  • Married Independent Undergraduate with no other Tax Dependents Award Range: $500 - $3,025
  • Independent Undergraduate Students Award Range: $500 - $3,025

Estimate your TAP award

Undergraduate students enrolled in four-year programs may receive up to four years of assistance for full-time study, and up to five years of assistance in an approved specialized program. Awards cannot exceed the maximum amounts shown or 100 percent of tuition, whichever is less.

What Determines the Amount of the Award?

  • Type of postsecondary institution and the tuition charged.
  • NYS net taxable income — up to $80,000 (combined, family) for dependent undergraduate students or independent students who are married and have tax dependents, or independent students who are unmarried and have tax dependents; up to $40,000 for married independent undergraduate students who have no other tax dependents; up to $10,000 for unmarried independent undergraduate students with no tax dependents.
  • Other family members enrolled in college.
  • Academic year in which first payment of TAP or any state award is received.

How Do You Apply?

  • To apply for TAP, you and your parents must first get your Federal Student Aid Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Complete and submit the PIN application. You and your parents will get your secure PINs from the U.S. Department of Education by email (or mail, if you prefer, in about a week). You use the PIN to “sign” your FAFSA electronically.
  • Complete and submit the FAFSA.
  • If you are a New York State resident applying to college in New York State, you should apply for TAP online using the link on the FAFSA Submission Confirmation page.
  • If you opt to complete a paper FAFSA, you will be still able to apply for TAP online.
  • The application deadline for TAP is June 30 of the academic year for which the aid is sought.

When Will I Hear About the Status of my TAP Application?

  • Visit HESC.ny.gov, to check your TAP application online, at any time.
  • If you provide an email address on your FAFSA, HESC can use it to tell you about your TAP application or award status, or to ask you for information needed to complete your application. Please be alert to HESC emails and respond to any requests or instructions.
  • If you do not provide an email address and have an approved status, you will receive a postcard from HESC.
  • If you do not provide an email address and have a denied status, you will receive a paper denial notification letter.

What About Applying for TAP in Subsequent Years?

If you received TAP the year before and your application information is unchanged, you may only have to file a Renewal FAFSA to get TAP in subsequent years.

For more information on TAP, visit hesc.ny.gov.